Judge to reexamine cold case charges


Though two brothers will go to trial for a 2003 murder, there may not be enough evidence to try a third suspect on the same charges, a Jefferson County judge said.

Twin brothers Daniel and David DeWild face charges of first-degree murder for their suspected roles in the death of Heather DeWild, Daniel’s estranged wife. Her body was found off Highway 6 in Clear Creek Canyon in September 2003.

After reviewing grand jury testimony on March 2, Judge Christopher Munch said there was probable cause to try the brothers for her murder. But, he said, there might not be enough evidence to charge David’s wife, Roseanne DeWild, with murder. Munch said it could be more fitting to charge her with accessory to murder, but he would continue to look over grand jury testimony before making a decision.

Munch is expected to make a decision about Roseanne DeWild’s charges this week. An arraignment for Daniel and David DeWild is set for April 16.

Daniel, David and Roseanne DeWild were all arrested Dec. 14, 2011. A grand jury indictment said Daniel “created a ruse” to lure 30-year-old Heather to his home in July 2003, knowing she would bring their two small children along. Daniel and Heather had recently separated, and their final divorce hearing was scheduled for the next week.

Nearly two months later, Heather’s decomposed body was found in a shallow grave near mile marker 262.5 on Highway 6. Her body was wrapped in trash bags and secured by duct tape, the indictment said. Her neck and wrists were loosely bound with rope.

Investigators from the district attorney’s office, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, the Arvada Police Department, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the Edgewater Police Department slowly gathered evidence in the case, finally leading to the DeWilds’ arrests in December.

Heather DeWild’s sister, Rebecca Barger, said the family is happy that a trial is moving forward. Her family always suspected the DeWild brothers were behind Heather’s disappearance, but weren’t sure the case would ever go to trial, she said.

“After eight years, sometimes we wanted to give up hope, but at the same time, we still felt there was hope,” Barger said.

Members of the DeWild family declined to comment.

This is a developing story. For updated information on Munch’s decision and the DeWild trial, visit www.great8newspapers.com.


Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.