"We were building a castle," Angel recalled. Isaac, a curious two-year-old, was just a few feet from his mother when he suddenly disappeared. "I …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
"We were building a castle," Angel recalled.
Isaac, a curious two-year-old, was just a few feet from his
mother when he suddenly disappeared.
"I noticed he wasn't in the room," Angel said; who lives in
Founder's Village in Castle Rock. "I looked over and saw that the
window screen was gone."
Isaac had fallen two stories to the ground, when the screen of
an open bedroom window he leaned on gave way.
Isaac, luckily, suffered only scrapes and bumps. He is one of
three children in Castle Rock who have fallen out of upstairs
windows in three weeks.
"It's kind of alarming," said Detective Vern Myers, with the
Castle Rock Police Department, who responded April 17 to the
Jarzebczyk home. "Last year there was one (screen accident) and the
year before, there were none."
On April 8, a five-year-old child fell 30 feet to the ground at
her home on Chimney Peak Drive.
Police reports say, the young girl was sitting on a windowsill
with her back against the screen. When she leaned back, the screen
gave way. In this incident, the child suffered critical
On April 13, another five-year-old child from Castle Rock fell
through an upstairs screened window. The young boy suffered only
minor injuries, Myers said.
Spring is the time of year that these kind of accidents occur,
said John Ulczycki, spokesperson for the National Safety
"People are just starting to open their windows to air out the
house after winter. But they need to be aware of the danger," he
said. "… windows come with screens to keep insects out. They are
not made to keep children in."
Coincidentally, April 18 through April 24 was National Window
Myers, who has five children of his own, said these types of
accidents are preventable.
"There is no way you can child-proof your home 100 percent," he
said. "You do the best you can. But there are window guards and
locks. Window gates are not readily available, but they can be
purchased on the Internet."
Window guards are devices that mount inside the window with bars
spaced not more than four inches apart. But an adult must be able
to open the window quickly in case of an emergency, such as a fire,
Ulczycki suggested several simple rules.
"First of all, if children are unsupervised at all, windows
should be closed and locked," he said. "People who have young
children should make sure that furniture such as chairs, beds and
sofas aren't positioned below windows. Children love to climb and
they like to look out of windows."
Fortunately, Isaac wasn't seriously injured, even though he
apparently hit and shattered the window of the family's
"We assume when he fell he hit the roof ledge under the window
first, bounced off and hit the car below," his mother said. "Isaac
had scrapes on his face and a goose egg in the center of his
forehead. Thankfully, I didn't see him fall or I'd probably have
Isaac doesn't remember the fall. "He doesn't think anything of
it," Jarzebczyk said.
But his mother can't forget it.
"I just hope other parents will get window guards so this won't
happen to their child," she said.
For more information about home safety, visit the National
Safety Council's Web site at www.nsc.org or Safe and Sound at
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.