More than half of the children in Ukraine have been displaced due to the continued war in Russia. As missiles landed, families had little time to gather anything, quickly filling backpacks and fleeing.
As stories of the need these families have has circulated throughout the world, some local moms and a local business have teamed up to host a community-wide event to collect children’s clothing and monetary donations for parents in Ukraine.
Just Between Friends Douglas County, a children’s consignment organization, will be donating everything left over from the consignment sale to the Ukraine refugees. Some of these items will include strollers, coats, diapers and shoes.
“Just Between Friends includes our friends in Ukraine. We’re helping the moms, dads and children who fled the country with whatever they could carry, said Deborah Freeman, owner of the Just Between Friends Douglas County franchise. “At the same time, we’re helping parents here at home struggling to dress their kids because of high inflation and soaring costs for kids’ furniture, toys, shoes and clothes.”
Here’s how local residents can help parents in Ukraine:
- Giving Tree– During the JBF event, shoppers can choose a card and buy the items listed for Ukrainian refugees.
- Cash donations– Don’t want to shop? Leave a donation and JBF will buy items for you.
- Consign and donate everything unsold– Parents who decide to sell their children’s items at the consignment sale will keep up to 70% of the proceeds. Money can also be donated.
Donations go to the charity LifeSong for Orphans, which will mail children’s shoes, pants, shirts, coats, strollers and more to refugees in Poland. The JBF news release said 100% of the donations go to the refugees.
No administrative costs are taken from the gifts. Review the charity’s audits and financial statements here.
Those wanting to participate do not have to go in person to give. Donations can me made at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ukraine-relief-fundraiser-lifesong-for-orphans-registration-304250329927.
The JBF Spring sale is happening this weekend at the Douglas County Fairgrounds, located at 500 Fairgrounds Rd. in Castle Rock. The schedule of the multi-day event is:
- March 30: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. – Special community pre-sale
- Thursday, March 31: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. – Open to public
- Friday, April 1: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. – Open to public
- Saturday, April 2nd: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Open to public
- Sunday, April 3: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Open to public and half price day