The City of Englewood announced through a website post on Feb. 15 that it is exploring the possibility of changing to an organized collection system for garbage and recycling collection.
Through an organized collection system, the city would contract with one vendor who would provide service to all residential properties in Englewood. Recycling service would be provided to all households.
In requesting citizen input, the City of Englewood broke down the advantages and disadvantages of moving to a new system.
According to city officials, the advantages of an organized collection system include:
• Increased efficiency (every house on the block is served by the same company) which results in:
• Decreased impacts from truck traffic (pavement wear & tear, noise, emissions)
• Decreased fuel consumption
• Greater community control over waste services including the ability to structure the program in alignment with community goals
• Competitive bidding process ensures fair pricing — you pay what your neighbor pays
• Increases are automatically built into the contract and are therefore planned and predictable
Disadvantages of an organized collection system are:
• Households do not have a choice in their provider (for the first year of the program); if you are dissatisfied with the service, you may opt out of the city’s program after the first year but will still be required to pay a minimum service fee
• Greater administrative involvement and oversight by the city
• Hauling companies have more limited opportunities to compete for contracts
There are three ways to provide feedback:
1. Complete the survey at www.engaged.englewoodco.gov/embeds/projects/14573/survey-tools/10986
2. Provide comments regarding the city’s proposal below using the comments and feedback feature online at https://bit.ly/3GWtmHU.
3. Attend the public meetings. A virtual public meeting is scheduled for March 8 and an in-person public meeting will be held on March 10.
Nominate the next Englewood Citizen of the Year
Nominate a deserving resident for Englewood’s Citizen of the Year award. Any Englewood resident or business owner is eligible for nomination.
The award recipient should exemplify outstanding volunteer or philanthropic dedication to the Englewood community.
The deadline for nomination is March 25. For more information, visit the website at englewoodco.gov/2022-coty.