Centennial

Sheriff reacts to Arapahoe High security guard's accusations

The scene outside Arapahoe High School on Dec. 13. The investigation continues. File photo
By George Lurie and Jennifer Smith
Posted

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson wasted no time reacting to accusations leveled on Facebook by a former security guard at Arapahoe High School that school officials could have done more to prevent the shooting that claimed the life of 17-year-old Claire Davis.

Cameron Rust, employed as a security guard and coach at Arapahoe - and placed on leave by the school district shortly after the Dec. 13 shooting - claimed on a Jan. 16 Facebook posting that the tragedy at Arapahoe could have been prevented.

"The school had been warned, they did not do enough," Rust wrote in the 4,106-word Facebook post. "The school had been warned about a lot of things, things that did not have anything to do with December 13th and did not do enough. In my opinion, they will continue to not do enough unless we force them to..."

When reached by telephone on Jan. 17 and asked for his reaction to Rust's allegations, Robinson offered to forward a prepared statement.

"I'm not going to make any other comments except for what's in my statement," the sheriff said. "I have a duty to act as a mature and responsible adult, unlike some other individuals out there."

Robinson's statement in full:

"From the initial stages of the on-going investigation, Mr. Rust was the subject of interviews conducted by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office. Our investigators plan to re-interview him in the future, as well as numerous other individuals, as part of the on-going investigation into the tragedies associated with the December 13, 2013 incident.

"The critical responsibility of determining the truth, established by facts and evidence, is our key focus and absolute responsibility to the community and to the Davis family. That responsibility will be accomplished in a complete and thorough manner. There will be no further comment regarding this matter, at this point in time, as we will not be distracted from our critical responsibilities of the on-going investigation, nor will we tolerate any effort to divert our attention or obstruct our investigative responsibilities."

Littleton Public Schools Superintendent Scott Murphy also responded quickly by posting a statement on the district's website.

"Recently there has been a lot of communication within our community," he writes. "Some of these discussions are taking place online and are being reported through newspapers and TV stations. This is to be expected. Much of the conversation, however, is based on inaccurate information, rumor, and innuendo. I would encourage all Warriors to wait for the sheriff's investigation to come to a close before drawing conclusions. ... I ask that we keep LPS strong by respecting the privacy of all in our community. Doing so will preserve the honor and integrity of our schools. We will not allow others to distract us from the important work of teaching and learning."

Rust's comments were posted on a Facebook page titled "Bring Back Cameron Rust AHS" started by student Jordan Macomber. He organized a peaceful protest in the school cafeteria on Jan. 8, the day after students returned to the building after the shooting. He said about 60 of them skipped class in support of Rust.

"The teachers didn't really react, nobody did," he said afterward. "Which just shows they're getting nervous about it."

No comments on this story | Add your comment
Please log in or register to add your comment