School vandal gets probation

29-year-old was among three accused in rampage


Chad Delgadillo, 29, will serve five years on probation, perform 1,000 hours of community service and pay restitution of $201,336.49 in restitution for his part in the Jan. 12 vandalism at Englewood High School.

The sentence was a result of a guilty plea to second-degree burglary, a Class 4 felony, and second-degree arson with damages under $100, a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Delgadillo entered his guilty plea on June 12; 18th Judicial District Judge Christopher Cross handed down the sentence on Aug. 1. It is the same sentence that co-defendant Michael Alan Trickel, 23, received June 20 for his guilty plea to similar charges.

The third defendant in the vandalism case, Anthony Meany, 26, is scheduled to be in court for arraignment on Aug. 29.

Brian Ewert, Englewood Schools superintendent, said he respects the court's decision on Delgadillo.

“Hopefully, justice has been served in this man's case, as he will be on probation, serve 1,000 hours community service and is required to play our district restitution,” Ewert said. “It also is my hope that this man learned his lesson and plans to get his life back on the right track.”

Ewert said the damage to the school building was repaired but the vandals unfortunately destroyed a number of band awards from the past, special awards that can't be replaced.

Early this year, Englewood High School was undergoing part of a $40 million project to create a seventh- through 12th-grade campus on the site.

The vandalism happened in the early morning hours of Jan. 12 when the three men broke into the wing of the building completed about Thanksgiving. They smashed windows and did damage in the STEM lab.

They moved into the band and music area, smashing windows and trophy cases. They then set a series of small fires in the band area. The fires damaged some band award banners and did other minor damage. The fires also set off the sprinkler system, and water from the sprinkler damages carpets and walls before the system was shut down.

Police found one of the vandal's cell phones in the area. It helped investigators identify the three suspects, track them down and arrest them just days after the vandalism.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment