Larry Lindholm dies


Surrounded by mountains, rolling hillsides and lush trees, Larry Lindholm was a man of the West who found sustenance in the land, in open space and wild pastures.

Lindholm died suddenly at home in the late hours of April 22, most likely from a heart attack. He would have been 72 June 27.

Lindholm and his wife Ann lived on 35 acres off the road to the Crags in Divide where they raised their daughters Jamie and Kriston. A self-employed contractor, Lindholm built the family's home.

A man who eschewed the new-age technology, cell phones and computers, Lindholm took pleasure in riding his horse on the mountain trails that began near his home.

“He was an awesome dad,” Kriston said. “He enjoyed taking people on horseback rides, on pack-in and hunting trips.”

Lindholm's daughters recall the sheep-counting excursions on horseback, part of their father's designation by the state of Colorado to log the official count of the area's Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep. “He was really good at spotting them where nobody else could see them,” Kriston said.

For years, he was a member of the Colorado Army National Guard, graduating at the top of his class.

The loss is steep for the family of the man known throughout two counties for his generosity and empathy. “There wasn't a thing he wouldn't do for somebody,” said his sister Myrna Wey. “The biggest thing about Larry was his integrity, his work ethic. People would wait two years so they could have Larry do the work for them, whatever it was.”

When the Sand Gulch was destroyed during the rainstorm of July 2012 Lindholm showed up to offer his support to the homeowners, Jan Pettit, among them. “Larry's Christian faith was really important to him,” said his wife. “He went to different Bible studies.”

A self-employed contractor, Lindholm has left his mark on his hometown of Green Mountain Falls as well as around Teller County. Despite hitting the 70 mark nearly two years ago, he had no thought of retirement. “He had list of projects two years off,” Ann Lindholm said.

An old beat-up tin can filled with keys and name tags reflects Lindholm's unfinished projects, building, remodeling and caretaking. “The biggest thing about Larry was his integrity, his work ethic,” Wey said. “People would wait two years so they could have Larry do the work for them, whatever it was.”

Like the others, Lindholm's sister Marge White is still somewhat in shock. “It's difficult, so hard to believe,” she said.

Yet the memories are comforting. “Larry was a good brother, always wore a smile; I never saw him angry,” White said. “He was always there for his family. He will live on in our hearts.”


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment