Forty Years Ago:

Palmer Lake, Monument, Woodmoor News, July 12, 1974

Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library.
Indians Fort (Monument, Colo.) old fort against Indians (1866) Monument, Colo. Creator(s) Baker, Fred R. Summary: This circular rock fort in Monument, El Paso County, Colorado, has a wooden frame window. Built by A. David McShane in 1866, it is 12 feet in diameter, and had an underground passage to the nearby house. It was used to defend the family and neighbors during Arapahoe and Cheyenne raids. Date:[between 1920 and 1940?]
Posted

The Rev. James Golez is the new pastor for the Assembly of God Church in Monument. Golez and his wife, Anita, and daughters, Stacey, 5, and Tracey, 2, have moved here from Bridgeport, Texas.

Golez and Anita have been singing and preaching evangelistically for several years.

Golez plays rhythm and bass guitar. They have found that Monument is a “town full of friendly people.”

They are looking forward to meeting everyone.

• • •

Woodmoor Chevron has free copies of a map showing the streets in Palmer Lake, Monument and Woodmoor.

• • •

The July 4th program was a “smash” according to the Monument Volunteer Fire Department.

More than 5,000 spectators were in attendance for the July 4th parade and patriotic program.

Included in the parade were: The Jody Drill Team, Drum And Bugle Corp. from Lowrey AFB, Color Guard from the U.S. Air Force Academy, Sheriff Earl Sullivan and four of the El Paso County police cars, the Woodmoor Riding Club with Sue Moore leading the way, youngsters on decorated bicycles, fire departments from Palmer Lake, Stratton Meadows and Stratmoor Hills and Monument.

The parade ended with the big Oldsmobile convertible, with two queens, Janet Manly representing the rescue squad and Brenda Sibell representing the volunteer fire department.

There were many more entries.

A band performed at the beginning of the parade and after the closing number a “Mast” helicopter from Ft. Carson landed in the infield.

The Stratmoor Hills Fire Department won.

• • •

The “Best in the County” award given by the Tri-Lakes Merchants Association. The patriotic program also included a pancake-eating contest sponsored by Village Inn, races and bowling ball toss.

An interesting attraction was the museum with more than 500 items on display.

These items included old wagon train cooking pots, Indian arrow heads and an old musket from the Civil War days, handmade items and farm equipment.

The day ended when Fire Chief John MacDonald and his fireman set off more than 500 aerial displays.

It was a “real honest to goodness American 4th of July.”

We wish to thank all those who combined their efforts and teamwork to make it such a success.

• • •

The Rev. and Mrs. Oscar Matthew will observe their 60th wedding anniversary at their home in Palmer Lake.

On Sunday, July 14 from 2 to 5 p.m., there will be an open house. No gifts.

— Compiled by Linda Case