Englewood Depot listed for sale again
The Englewood Depot is for sale, and the city has elected to seek potential buyers through the request-for-proposal process.
The city council approved the move, seeking creative redevelopment and adaptive use of the 1915-era train depot at 3190 S. Galapago St.
A request-for-proposal package is available that explains the city's sale process, contains information about the building and outlines the city's expectation that the buyer will be able to follow guidelines for historic restoration before putting the building to use. The package is available on the city's website at www.englewoodgov.org/index.aspx?page=1054.
The city initially used a request-for-proposal process in a move to sell the depot in November 2011. In April, only one offer had been presented, which would have done historic restoration to the depot so it could be used as a company's offices.
But a large number of residents spoke against the sale, and the potential buyer withdrew his bid. Several residents established the Englewood Historic Preservation Society, seeking to turn the depot into a museum. Another proposal was to build a chocolate museum and factory adjacent to the depot and make the depot into an Englewood museum.
The city council has met several times to discuss the future of the depot and finally agreed to again use the request-for-proposal process to seek a buyer. The deadline for proposals is Feb. 28.
The depot was built by the Santa Fe Railroad in 1915 and was located on the east side of the tracks, near the present-day U.S. 285 underpass under South Santa Fe Drive. It served as a passenger and freight stop on the railroad. During World War II it was a transfer point from main-line trains to a spur line running to Fort Logan.
Depot use declined, and the building was closed in the 1950s. It sat idle until the site was purchased and the developer planned to demolish the depot if it wasn't moved.
In 1994, the Englewood Historical Society moved the depot to its present location on South Galapago Street. The building has sat empty since it was moved. However, it was placed on the State Register of Historic Places and a partial restoration was done. The society deeded the depot back to the city in 2002.