Denver made it through the latest round of cuts on Thursday, May 22, for cities competing to host the 2016 Republican National Convention.
That leaves three other cities including Cleveland, Dallas and Kansas City, Missouri. Earlier in the day, Cincinnati and Las Vegas withdrew their bids for site selection.
This latest announcement means that Denver will receive a visit by the site selection delegation some time in June or July.
“Today the committee determined that Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, and Kansas City will receive official visits from the full RNC site selection delegation,” Committee Chairwoman Enid Mickelsen said in a statement. “All cities excelled in nearly every aspect of their bids and presentation this year, but these four cities stood out from the field from the start of this process and deserve a deeper look by the full committee.”
Pete Coors, Denver 2016 committee chairman, held a small press conference on Thursday. “This is a huge deal for Denver and for Colorado,” he said. “We need to have them understand hopefully what a great city this is and that we have the capability and the capacity to pull off a convention.”
In the end, it all comes down to funding, he said.
At least $50 million is needed by the RNC to throw the convention, and Dallas proves to be a worthy opponent who has reportedly already raised $25 million.
In the coming weeks, the committee will be stepping up its fundraising, Coors said.
Commitments from donors and various private sources have raised $10.3 million, according to Colorado GOP Chairman Ryan Call.