Bradley accepts severance package: El Paso County Sheriff's Office assumes law-enforcement duties


Green Mountain Falls Police Chief Tim Bradley has accepted a severance package of $12,000 to leave his post as the town's chief law enforcement officer. As a result, Bradley submitted a letter of resignation Nov. 7.

Bradley was not fired, said Howard Price, the town's liaison to the department. “Tim has done a good job,” Price said. “But we are redesigning the marshal's office.”

The redesign is the result of Price's initiation of a pending agreement with El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa to open a substation in Green Mountain Falls. If the agreement is accepted by El Paso County, the sheriff's law-enforcement officers will patrol the area from Crystola to the first exit to Manitou Springs. As well, the deputies will investigate crimes and provide prosecutions for criminal activity.

“With a substation in town the deputies can respond faster to calls in our area,” Price said at the board meeting Nov. 5.

In a town patrolled by a marshal for the past century, Bradley's farewell is monumental, the ushering in of a new era in Green Mountain Falls. While Price emphasized that Bradley was not fired, nor did he resign, it's no secret that he was on the outs with most of the board, with the exception of the mayor and Stevens.

Bradley incurred public censure by Price for patrolling U.S. 24 rather than remaining exclusively in town. As well, Bradley started off on the wrong foot with the board by requesting that he be referred to as “Police Chief,” rather than “Marshal.”

While Bradley won high praise from vocal citizens, others were enraged about the number of speeding tickets he issued in the beginning.

Bradley was also recognized by the town's school children for his morning patrols on Ute Pass Avenue near the elementary school.

In the afternoon of Nov. 8, the El Paso County Sheriff's Office issued a release stating that, effective that day, the office will assume all law-enforcement duties and responsibilities for the town.

Citizens with emergencies can call “911” for immediate assistance. For non-emergencies or assistance, call 390-5555.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment