Boosting Your Self-Esteem
“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” Oscar Wilde
The National Association for Self-Esteem (NASE) defines self-esteem as “The experience of being capable of meeting life’s challenges and being worthy of happiness.” A healthy or high self-esteem will not only allow you to live a happier life, it will also strengthen your ability to handle challenges, build your tolerance, motivate you to take risks, and encourage a life of love. When participating in self-refection and understanding your own self-esteem it is important to note that we often see ourselves through the eyes of others, thus our self-esteem can be built upon or broken down by our surroundings.
Charles Taylor author of Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity and Multiculturalism writes, “We define our identity always in dialogue with, sometimes in struggle against, the things our significant others want to see in us. Even after we outgrow some of these others—our parents, for instance—and they disappear from our lives, the conversation with them continues within us as long as we live.”
Before taking the steps to boost your self-esteem we encourage you to take a look at the people in and around your life that may be influencing the image of yourself that is being reflected. Don’t look at this task as n profound life transitioning challenge, just a few simple changes can make a difference and can help you live a life of hope, harmony, and happiness with a healthy self-esteem at the core.
A few Tips:
• Check out “How to Live Deliciously” Guide to Self-esteem creative journal at www.talkingwithteri.com for a great resource.
• Surround yourself with positive people that will reflect beauty back to you
• Be positive, even when it seems like a challenge (it takes less muscle in your face to smile than frown)
• Journal about your daily activities and thoughts - highlight the positive and explore where the negative stems
• Do an activity that you are good at
• Celebrate the little things - a productive day at work or getting all the laundry done deserves a celebration every once in awhile
• Question your negativity or doubt - remember we are sometimes wrong
• Stop thinking about yourself - do something for someone else
• Relax - turn off and just breathe
• Lighten up - Don’t be so hard on yourself!!